10 October 2006

Listen Up!

I got a lot to say:

First, Tower Records is FINALLY doing a clearance sale to FINALLY close their fucking 4th Street store, which means a whopping 10% on supercheap $18.99 CDs. YEah, you read correctly. I'm sorry, are they morons? If they keep this up their inventory won't sell out until, like, 2010. I get the feeling the Tower Records closing is gonna drag on longer than the fucking CBGB's "last shows" bullshit. HOWEVER, I still want to buy some vinyl from there.

I finally said something smart in my punk class today. Pat me on the head. Well I got so fucking pissed and I felt so embarrassed that this photographer lady came to talk to us about "punk fashion" and she didn't really know that much about punk at all. But my comment had nothing to do with punk per se, I was talking about how Mexican-American kids used the zoot suit as a "fuck you" to los gringos during WWII, long story, and a complicated one at that. Honestly, there's no point to this, other than to brag that I'm not entirely incompetent, though it may seem that way from reading this blog.

I should mention that the Bronx Museum of the Arts is hosting this exhibit on tropicália. What does this mean? Well, it means awesome music, artwork inspired by the movement, a lot of political talk, learning about Brazilian culture...

From the press release:
Grand Opening Celebration, Open House: Sunday, October 29, 2006, 2 to 6 p.m.
There's also a shitload of events (music, films, panels) to complement the exhibit, some of which are located downtown so y'all don't have to schlep yo' asses all the way up here. Actually, the museum's real easy to find, it's on 1040 Grand Concourse @ 165th Street, here's some directions for y'all. You guys totally need to go!

Another important thing is that Paul posted up videos of the Obsolete Units release party, and I'm feeling really sore that I missed Poingly's set. It looks amazing. I can't believe I missed it. Click the fucking link! I highly recommend it.

So... YouTube has been acquired by Google. Now what? I feel a bit strange knowing that such a big chunk of my (online) life is dominated by Google.

At least YouTube has shown me that New Kids on the Block were sort of awesome:


Or if you need something with a li'l more cred, YOU CAN BOW DOWN TO BETH DITTO!

2 comments:

Paul Haney said...

Poingly is my roommate, so I'm sure there will be other Poingly shows in my backyard.

Gabriela said...

Wait seriously I love your blog.