12 October 2006

Come Out and Play.

Yesterday was national Coming Out Day!

Here's a video of Klaus Nomi. He was one of the early victims of AIDS, when it was still seen as a gay epidemic. In his dying days, he was actually quarantined because of misconceptions that even being near someone with AIDS was dangerous.



And here's a video of the Germs. Darby Crash never came out of the closet, which I personally feel contributed to his depression and recklessness and ultimately his death. I'm really just including this because I love the Germs, and although I hardly agree with Darby on anything really, you have to admit it's impressive how many suckers fell for his fascistic tendencies.



Here's something more recent, a video of Grizzly Bear. I love this video, they've got such wonderful songs.



Another recent one, just for the LOLz.



This last video may be really obvious, but whatever: Madonna has been a queer icon for decades now, and this MTV performance is scandalously good.



Sorry this seems to have a bias towards gay men! Really, all these songs are excellent and I love them! I know there's lots of other artists who represent the queer spectrum even more widely, but maybe that's for another post.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I totally have that Madonna performance on DVD but it is totally amazing every time you watch it, on any medium. I love it when that one dude mimes sniffing coke. On MTV! So badass!
-CQ