07 October 2006

"Can You Tell Me Where to Find Sex Street?"

Wednesday, the way I remember, felt pretty shitty at first. Work was terrible. A fire alarm went off and the sound was horrifying, it just pierced right through you and the flashing light was no help, either. But then things changed a bit. I got a bit of dinner and just as I finished, I saw Gabs and she joined me on the steps of Weinstein, where I eat sometimes because I like people-watching.

Gabs was like, "You wanna dinner" and I was all like "I just ate but I'll watch you eat" and she even "paid" for my non-meal and I ended up cutting my class which is just as well because all I'm really learning is that major labels are soul-sucking machines and I don't see why anyone would want to work in such an environment. Gabs and I talked for a while and it was really nice, except for the part where I found out that this girl in one of my classes is totally the girl who was sort of talking shit about Gabs (IN HER XANGA OMG TACKYXCORE) and I was so surprised cos she really doesn't seem like that when I talk to her. And then I told Gabs about my girlcrush and she's like, "Oh yeah, I know who she is," LOLLLLL.

Anyway, after dinner we parted ways and I ended up chillin' 'round. There's this movie that was being shot near Tower Records; I thought I would look around from a safe distance, so I was about to go into Other Music when I saw Grumpy Jesus Guy looking out the door and I was like YIKES and I decided not to go in this time. I ended up going into Tower and when I went in, it was almost empty. I don't know what the fuck was going on, there were as many employees as there were shoppers. Except the music they were playing was pretty cool. In fact, this song started and I got a really warm fuzzy feeling inside me and then I was like "OH MY LORD IT'S 'THE WEEPING SONG'" and I was just so so happy that I could enjoy that song blasting through the speakers with no one watching my goofy smile as I pondered the sweet romance that Nick Cave and Blixa shared at one point in their lives.

And then when I got home: my mp3 player arrived. I only tried out the video feature yesterday and I was shocked. I wasn't even planning on using it much but now I'm totally sad that most of my videos are .mov because the quality of the video is incredible!! Maybe it's for the best, cos then I would use up all my space on all the stupid videos I have.

Either way, Wednesday ended up being pretty sweet. I don't remember Thursday very well. The only thing I remember clearly is that we were in class and this fire alarm light went off, but there was no sound. We were all "WTF?" and my professor was like, "I hope none of you are epileptic"... it really would have been bad news otherwise. At first a security guard came and said it was just a test, but then he came back five minutes later and was like, "I'm sorry, we have to evacuate the building because a construction worker got into an accident," and we all got scooped out of there and we waited for a while as the chilly wind blew by and these crazy NYU fucker kids were like playing bongos and trying to dance capoeira and shit and there had been this street party that happened at school but it was over by then and people were cleaning up and there were all these balloons and this clean up person was like, "Anybody want balloons? No?" so she starts popping them.

Claudia has a fear of balloons, she hates them. This was the first time--it will probably be the only time--I was happy she was an ocean away. The sound was horrible, even I felt sorta sick watching the balloons pop.

Yesterday we had a pizza party at work. In the morning we had a small protest because a military recruiter came to do job interviews with students, and since the military discriminates against the LGBT community, everyone was in a bit of a tizzy that someone was coming on campus.

Afterwards, Boogie-Down Nicole and I met with Maria, and then the three of us met with Christina Fairy and then after dinner the four of us met with Christina and Maria's friend Marie. The five of us gots snacks at Duane Reade and then we headed to the movies, to see Shortbus. I really loved it. Where do I start?

The music was great! In particular, they used this Animal Collective song repeatedly, even in really poignant parts. It's never been my favorite Animal Collective song, hence why I can't be bothered to even look up the name, but it was interesting the way it was used. Also, JD SAMSON TOTALLY SHOWS UP IN THE MOVIE AND SHE'S SO HOT AND I WANNA HAVE HER BABIES. After the movie Maria was like, "I totally forgot to tell you she's in it" and I was like "nonono THANK YOU" cos it was such a pleasant surprise. I gasped so loudly when she showed up on screen, I can only imagine how dumb I sounded, hahaha. Oh, and Bitch from Bitch and Animal is in it too, and featured quite a bit as part of the band that plays regularly at the Shortbus party. The music the band plays is really cool too.

I really liked the animation, the miniature city.

I thought the pacing of the movie was really good, the humor was refreshingly realistic. People were howling and we were all ZOMG together, it felt really nice seeing this in the theater. It's like everyone in the movie was so comfortable together and it showed.

I didn't care much for the sex, I really didn't get it and it didn't seem out of normal. Honestly, on occasion I felt it was getting in the way of the story! Well, there was this one great sex scene! It's a gay three-some, and it has the most hilarious, puzzling, thoughtful, and weird political message. It involves our national anthem. All I can say is, God bless America!

Honestly I felt really freaked out by one line this dominatrix girl says she's scared she won't have enough money to live in the city and that made me cry because I'm scared about that too. I don't even know how to drive, where the fuck am I gonna go. I'm gonna have to learn how to ride bikes. That'll help, right? I don't wanna leave here but I'm gonna have to, aren't I. I also felt very worried when the blackout happens, but that's just me being neurotic.

Whatever, the movie was awesome, go see it, go with all your friends and have a good laugh and hug one another.

After the movie this guy came up to us and asked us where to find Sex Street, by which he really meant Essex Street. We pointed to the right direction and giggled about it.

3 comments:

minor disappointments said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed the movie! I can't wait to LJ all about it, because last night was so much fun.

I thought all the music in "Shortbus" was really great as well! Go here---
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=51650639

That's the dude who was playing with Bitch and Justin Bond at the end. I saw him at the Shortbus afterparty I went to and he was very, very good!

Check these out too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niWHt78GRn4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GJAbVyGOCw

The interviewer dude asks Kylie Minogue and Nick Cave if they've ever been attracted to someone from the same sex. Nick says, "I like to keep my options open." Whoever could he be talking about? LOL.

minor disappointments said...

Oops, I'm guessing that Myspace link isn't going to work.

Go to the music search thing on Myspace, type in Scott Matthew, and click on the bearded Scott Matthew from Brooklyn:)

Anonymous said...

oh em geeeee, I got name checked!! That is so lovely that you remember my fear of balloons; your experience sounds utterly terrifying and I'm glad I was an ocean away too. But I misssss yoooooouuuu. When I get back, we're dancing.
-C to the Q