15 August 2006

Deerhoof.

Sunday was pretty awesome, except for the part where I went to fix my new glasses and I wanted to scratch out the eyes of the woman working there. Damn it, mujer! If I tell you the new glasses make me wanna barf, change them for me! Don't tell me to fucking get used to it!

Well, my parents drove me into Guillermoburg so that I could ch-ch-check out the latest pool party.

I waited a long time for Rachel and I reached a point where I was openly moping. This was not good because my QT former co-worker saw me and he was like, "You look so sad!" And I was like, "ZOMG YOU'RE WITH YOUR GIRLFRIEND AND SHE'S PRETTY HOT IHU CUTE DUDE!" Bee tee dubs, he totally added me on facebook. Now I can see more pictures of him with his hot girlfriend. Sigh.

It also took me about two minutes to spot Alfie again. The end.

Anyway, I did meet up with everyone eventually. I first saw Militant Vegan Emo Boy Adam who had a whole posse that included Boogie-Down Nicole, Gabs (back from OHIO!!), and uhhh this dude, Scott, from Tiny Mix Tapes!!! My first encounter with a real life Tiny Mix Tapes writer!!!!! LMAO.

I should also note it was my first encounter with the notorious ANGELA! She was ASSUM! We was like ZOMGZXCORE YOU LIKE MUSICSECRET SHUIT UP NO WAY ME TOO YO!!! And then we were like FATRICK IS A QT EVEN IF HE'S BALDING. It was great!

OMG! AND ?UESTLOVE WAS TOTALLY DJING TOTALLY NORMAL STUFF! It was great! My favorite tracks spinned: "The Whole World" by Outkast, "Crazy in Love" without Beyoncé and Jay's vocals (which is really how the song should have been in the first place, fuck them!), AAAAAND that funk song that is sampled in EEEEEEEVERY old hip-hop song and that every breakdancer knows*. That last one was really exciting, I'd been itching to hear that song, so it was a major relief.

Apollo Sunshine were meh. Maybe they were all right. I wasn't really paying attention, I was busy eating my $5 cup of Ben & Jerry's chocolate ice cream. It was almost worth it. I will probably get some more for the Walkmen pool party.

Beirut was aight. I don't think it was a good venue for him. Y'know, too many distractions and all. It was really great though, Angela was all like, "They're gonna play [laiueraoleiutawot]!" and I was like what the fuck is that? But then when they started playing the song I went apeshit and I was like YOOOOO I LOVE THAT FUCKING SONG**!!!! Angela asked me how I could not know how to pronounce the song title when it's in the lyrics? And so, Angela learned my poor lyric-learning skills. Oh yeah, I was really jealous of the tambourine dude on stage! I want that job. Getting drunk with a band and just banging on a tambourine. Yeah maaan. That's fucking rock 'n' roll!

So anyhoo, after that great finish, Rachel got some ice cream and we bid farewell to Angela and we stood a bit closer to the stage, except the sound was REAL FUCKING LOUD and I had no earplugs, so we were still a bit far. But I could see most of it. I found it a bit weird to have them as a 3-piece and a 4-piece, and I feel they sounded a bit fuller with 4 people. Satomi is so cute and tiny and she jumped around and I just wanted to hug her. And that drummer dude is fucking insane. And he towers over her. Like he'd go up to Satomi's mic to say "Thanks for coming" and stuff, but he had to bend in half hahahhaahaha I love this band so much and they played "Dog on the Sidewalk" yayayay. Shit and and and they played "Wrong Time Capsule" and I think "Flower" and they opened with "Gore in Rut" and it was so fucking adorable and I cheered "Hurrah, hurrah!" The end.

*Ah, that funk song is "It's Just Begun" by the Jimmy Castor Bunch. Shit, that song is so so good.
**"Šiki, šiki baba"!! Here, I only have the Kocani Orkestar version, from Said the Gramophone.

No comments: