19 September 2006

Weekend.

A little recap.

Thursday I went to the Queer Office at school and we had pizza and this real cute dude from The Advocate came and the conversation was really interesting, a lot of it was about money and advertising and the internets and the direction the magazine was thinking of taking in the future and uh... Lance Bass. So it was pretty much like Gawker, but just a bit gayer.

Friday was brutal. I was a retard and went on an errand that involved a lot of walking while it was pouring a shitload. Grrreat.

Also, I feel like my allergies have flared up all of a sudden? I dunno what to do.

Yesterday was awesome! My parents are dorks and I was like "I'm a go party" and they were all like, "Dress nice" and "Are you sure you don't need to bring anything to the party" and I was all like, "Whateva". Also, I didn't tell them I was going to two parties instead of one because they would have asked even more questions like, "Who's house is it?", "Why does this person live in Brooklyn?", "How do you know this person?", "Are people going to be drinking?" and my favorite (NOT), "Are there gonna be boys there?"

They also tried to tell me what parties are like, to watch that nobody touches me the wrong way or steals my shit. Yeah, okay. I love how they don't know I've been to parties before. At least they care enough to ask me about it and pick me up, which is what my dad did after Scott's party. LOL.

Anyway, so I called up Maria and was like, "Come to Scott's party" but she wasn't sure how to get there so I was like, "Uh you can come with me to Paul's noise party if you want" and she accepted and then we had to figure out how she would take the train but finally we figured out she could take the R and then switch to the F and funnily enough we ended up on the same F so we found each other at the platform and it was quite the joyous moment.

So here's the deal: I know nothing about noise music. But Paul started his own little CD-R label, Obsolete Units, and to kick off the label, he threw a party-slash-band showcase, so I decided to go and show some support. About 6 months ago, in the spring, we had to review demos for this little Battle of the Bands events at school, and Andy and Jordan #2 submitted a demo under Totally Dad. The first Obsolete Units release was the Totally Dad demo, and now there's also a second release for Oubliette.

Anyway, I think Maria and I showed up right as the first band was starting. It was all very abstract, and I didn't quite "get it". Though I have to say, some parts I really liked. Like the process of making all these sounds seemed pretty interesting. But I sort of regretted not wearing earplugs when the high-pitched shit started. Also, I thought it was totally hilarious because from where I was standing, I could see a lot of the neighbors who'd be peeking our way. One individual in particular looked out his backyard, turned away, and when the noise didn't stop, he came back to close his door. AHA. I'm really shocked the police didn't come, especially during this first band's set. I didn't catch their name.

The second band was Archaeopteryx (sp?), who were just a bassist and drummer but I really liked them! They were totally aggro and shit! They seemed a bit needy emotionally (they kept asking the crowd watching from above to please come down into the "audience"), but overall they seemed like cool dudes and they totally delivered a big sound.

Totally Dad went last and I was pleasantly surprised. I was hoping they wouldn't suck--and they sounded great! Jordan #2 and Andy were on guitars, and they had a drummer dude named Eddie. The drummer dude was awesome! Except for the fact that multiple drums fell, he kept beating on them anyways. I feel like Totally Dad still have a lot of room for growth; I'm excited to see what they put out in the future. At times it felt a bit sloppy in the edges in a very Jandek-y way, but when it gelled, the music was awesome and sounded a bit Deerhoof-esque. Also, Jordan #2's vocals were weird, in a high quivering sorta way in the great tradition of Jamie Stewart and so on.

Apparently, someone from Magik Markers showed up to the showcase, and Paul was toootally geeking out. Aw, what a nice dude. He looked like a proud father as he watched Totally Dad do they thang.

Honestly, the best part was hanging out with Maria and seeing all my sophomore buddies and especially witnessing Totally Dad live. I'm not big on noise but this was totally worth it and I can't wait for another party, cos the place is pretty sweet. And I loved seeing Paul and hearing all this gossip gossip. Some of it was so shocking that, uh, I made sure to regurgitate the information to Rachel, and believe you me, her jaw dropped when I finally told her.

But yeah, I left the party feeling good and very happy that I went to this even though I have no idea what's good or bad in terms of this genre of music. After a few hugs and parting words, Maria and I left for Scott's. When we showed up we were greeted with Scott telling us we were guests number 4 and 5, and Gabs was all like, "Yeah, I'm not expecting a big turnout". Well fuck, the party was rockin'! Gabs looked really pretty, her outfit was cool. Rachel, Boogie-Down Nicole and Notorious Angela didn't show up until around midnight, unfortunately, but dancing to normal music with Gabs and Militant Vegan Emo Boy Adam and Scott was awesome!!!

For the most part Maria and I talked, though we also talked to (1) Scott about the underrated genius of dark chocolate M&M's and (2) this pale dude came up to me and Maria and was like, "Do you know Diana?" and I was like, "Sorta" and he's like "I'm her brother" and I was like, "Oh I think she's really pretty but don't tell her that cos I'm not really supposed to know who she is and she might be creeped out that some girl she doesn't know thinks she's pretty" or something like that. Anywyay, said brother of Diana's ended up being TOTALLY AWESOME. I mean, he danced his ass off!!

Oh, also, these two siblings showed up, they were so cute and seemed very sweet. The sister was all like, "I want to dance, but I don't know how" and I was like, "It's aight if you don't know, nobody here can dance well anyways" which was especially true because Kareem hadn't shown up yet, haha.

The one other notable thing that hilariously relates to Diana-the-pretty-girl-I've-never-spoken-to is that The Twat showed up. Now, I feel sorta bad about calling him The Twat because Boogie-Down Nicole reported to me that he's actually quite genuine and nice. But to justify my actions, I have referred to him as The Twat cos whenever I would bump into him around school, he'd be sporting these obnoxious aviator shades and he had his hair parted at an angle and whenever he walks he sorta swaggers in a wankery manner. ANYWAY. So he shows up and I was really surprised, cos I didn't get who'd show up at this party to bring him along. Except then I remembered that I'd seen Diana and The Twat walking together a few weeks ago, so I assumed that they're going out (this was confirmed to me laters).

To make things better, as I was getting ready to leave, I kinda encountered him in the hall looking all confused and we exchanged the following words:

The Twat: Do you know where the bathroom is?
Elizabeth: Um... I think near the entrance maybe.

It was a conversation for the ages, I tells y'all.

So I left soon after but I had a lot a lot of fun and people were very nice and it was a relief that it wasn't a 100% NYU kids deal. I hear I missed out on a lot, like a remix of the Futureheads' "Hounds of Love", and Scott whippin' out some rejected bottles of vodka from his company. LAWLZ.

2 comments:

Paul Haney said...

Maybe you could do some HTML action and *cough cough* provide a link to the Obsolete Units MySpace *cough cough*. Whoa, who said that? Ummmm...

Glad you liked the party! I'm SO glad we pulled it off without noise complaints! In fact, the guy next door told me as I was cleaning up the next morning that he liked it. And yes, I was so proud of Totally Dad (and all the bands for that matter).

Sadly, you missed the first act, my roommate Poingly. You can get a little taste of that here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW2I2JwNvN8

My friend Dave actually taped the whole night, and I can't wait for those videos to materialize. Can you say DVD?

Gabriela said...

LOL you are sweet and a good party revieiwer. I love that Diana's brother came up to you and said that; it is so Hamilton family. But don't call her boyfriend the twat, he is so sweet and fun!