01 July 2006

Elizabeth U. Battles The Scenester Girls.

So I got to the venue and I just went up to the security dude, "I'm from TMT, I'm here to do an interview," and he just mumbled and pointed to a side door and I was like, "Um... okay?" So I just went to the side door and it was sorta open and... I waltzed inside like I owned the place. And as soon as I saw someone I was like, "Help?" And he was pretty helpful, just told me to go to the main stage, and when I did, I think it was the French Kicks setting up. I just stood there and was like, "Hi". HAHA. Okay, so then I go back out and I'm about to call the publicist when someone shows up and is like, "Hey, we don't know nothing about no stinkin' interview, we just need to make sure, nobody tells us nothing, etc, etc, SO COULD YOU PLEASE WAIT OUTSIDE WHILE WE VERIFY" LOLZ! I was kicked out of the venue quite calmly and politely, and I was left on the street to fend for myself against this handful of little scenester girls. ZOMGZ. I was so scared. They were really close to the front waiting for doors to open, and I stayed back a few feet away. As I waited I called the publicist going like, "I got kicked out, help me PLZ". One of them girls waddles over to me, she heard me earlier before I snuck into the venue that I was doing an interview, and she's like, "What publication do you work for?" I think she was being polite and stuff in case I was someone important. (After all, I may look geeky but Jon Pareles is even geekier. You never know.) I said, "Tiny Mix Tapes", and I said it loud, cos I'm proud. And she was wearing these shades, but they weren't that dark, and I could tell she had no idea what I was talking about. And she's like have you talked to their publicist and I'm like, "Not on the phone, we've been exchanging emails." She asked me who the publicist was, and I said Karen. And she was like, "Oh, right!" giving me this look like she totally knew who I was talking about. By that I mean she really DID know that Karen was Karen Plus One. She didn't make a big fuss, but it was still a fuss, so you could tell. Anyway, I ceased to amuse said girl, so she went back to giggling and stupid shit with her posse, and I kept my distance. Then the dude who kicked me out looks out the main entrance and points at me.

"You! What's your name!"
I knew this was no time to tell him that my name IS "U." LOL.
I responded, "Elizabeth."

He motions me over to him, to come in, and I strutted up to the door, past those annoying girls. I'm assuming Karen sorted me out? Maybe not. But then as I was walking in, one of these girls was like, "Hey, this other girl has an interview, too!" I didn't believe them. I don't think he did, either. He's like, "What for?" And the girls are like, "The Big Takeover" And I was like, LOLLERCAUST, if y'all gonna lie you could have picked a cooler zine!! And now that I think about it, Jack Rabid really disliked the first Futureheads album! So I'm like OMGWTF?

The thing is, in the end they weren't really lying, because a few minutes after I started stuttering in front of Jaff, this girl came into the room with Barry to do an interview. HAHA! Anyway, I was very awkward and nervous during the thing, he was quite nice and charming and I understood him just fine, and he'd never heard of the Unicorns and he wasn't feeling very confident about England in the World Cup. But yeah, I'll transcribe when I get home, and submit it, you'll see what he said. It was such a short interview. Time restraints. It's just as well, I was so nervous. It's hard to get all buddy-buddy within 15 minutes, but I got some really interesting answers out of him.

After the interview I shimmied on out of the venue and waited for Rachel to show up. We had pizza and waited for Boogie-Down Nicole to show up. Then I gave her her ticket, which I actually never used for the Crumpler Bags thing, which was for the best I think, and then I went up to the guestlist dude and I'm like, "I'm on the list?" And he goes, "Which list?" And in my head I'm like, FUCK, I KNEW I SHOULD HAVE ASKED! I'm such a n00b at this shit it's pathetic. Can I get a LOL? Anyway, he asked, "Who put you on the list?" I'm like, "Karen", and he's like, "Who does she work for?" For some reason I TOTALLY blanked out! It doesn't matter if I'd said the PR company cos the same dude who kicked me out/let me in earlier was like, "It's the Vagrant list", and he let me in and I said "I'm sorry for the trouble yo" and he was like, "It's aight". No, I'm not quoting anything verbatim.

I'm also supposed to review the show (which is why I sort of won't do it here, other than to say it was awesome and fun), so I had to write down the whole setlist. The problem is that I wasn't sure about the new song titles. I didn't know the words, either. The brilliant thing is, they blew up the liner notes as the backdrop for their show, and the liner notes basically show the lyrics to the songs in a newspaper layout. As a journalism student, when I saw it I almost died. Anyway, so I actually took advantage of the blown-up backdrop with the lyrics. It really helped and I got all the song names, with 95% certainty. I actually felt bad because I couldn't remember the title for one of the OLD songs! Haha, I fail at life.

There were no sightings of Elijah Wood.

After the show we bumped into Cameron, how surprising, huh? We recapped on the show, and you know, he's all like, "Well, they were better when they played [insert your choice of 20-person capacity venue]." Haha, I'm exaggerating. But we agreed it was a good time. Well, if you missed the Futureheads last night, they're gonna play Motherfucker (source: Brooklynvegan) for the 4th of July party. Except the party's actually on July 3rd, take note! So go check them out and see if Ross and Justine D break edge!!

And now off to the library to pay my fines. Oh lord. Later: ACME Cajun food, and Shakespeare in the Park. I have one extra ticket, anyone wanna come with? ALSO! Hi to Miss Modernage! Thanks for the hot linkage action!! :D

No comments: