05 July 2006

Try Again.

Okay, I cannot believe I've been wasting my time listening to "Dance, Dance". I can't believe I just downloaded Ultra Blue by Utada Hikaru and didn't listen to it until now. I cannot believe I listened to Loose that much. And while we're on the same topic (Timbaland), I cannot believe I listened to Exodus that much, either! But I still like Exodus, I'm mostly ashamed about Loose. What a fucking waste of my time. Ultra Blue is such a good pop album! Maybe the best I've heard since Taller in More Ways. Oh wait, maybe since the Robyn album, I'm not sure. Heh. But don't let me do all the talking, here's a video for "Keep Tryin'":



Also, it helps that Utada Hikaru has a nice voice. I have to say though, the second half of the album dips a bit in quality (at least from this first listening session), and I get really annoyed when J-Pop or K-Pop songs mix English into the lyrics within the same phrase. Dunno if I explained that clearly. Anyway, just track the music down, it's really good.

I finished reading City of Glass, which I didn't realize was an adaptation of a novel. I read it in graphic novel form. It was such a mindfuck! It was so fucking meta! I thought the artwork was fantastic! I might have to read the actual novel, but the artwork was so beautiful, just very clever and intricate. I thought it fit the story very well. The story itself was wonderful because it talks about language and there's a lot of intertextuality so it really kept me on my toes.

I also finished Mother, Come Home, and I seriously... maybe it's a bit too naive of me, but I... I expected a lot of cryin' and huggin' and good, ol'-fashioned male bondin'. I didn't except the BIG TURN in the story to be such a... I don't know, I didn't expect it to be like that. I think what I liked most was the way the story is told, sometimes very stylized, sometimes very childlike. It made the story a bit more complex than most stories. Shit, what confuses me is that this is only one book in a series? Or something, I'm not sure. But yeah, I think I'd recommend it. Maybe even more so than La Perdida, because it's a bit creepy, sort of like little kids in scary movies.

Speaking of "scary" movies, is that new M. Night Shyamalam movie out yet? I want to read the spoiler. See, I tend to read the spoilers for movies I never intend to watch, many of which are so-called "scary" movies. So yeah! If anyone knows how it goes, do tell. Haha.

EDIT: (1) Gawker got a facelift; I think it looks nice and clean. (2) For those who care, I spotted one of those ghastly bookbag ads that the Misshapers modeled for. I was on Bowery. Seriously, so tacky. I'm all for making money, but couldn't they do it in a more fashionable way? I guess I shouldn't expect so much from hipster scum. Sigh!

No comments: