04 July 2006

Holiday, Y'all!

Macbeth
My holiday weekend's been good. On Saturday night, thanks to Doris, I got to see Macbeth, which is this year's production for Shakespeare in the Park. Now, I've never read Macbeth, so I listened really carefully to the dialogue so I could understand what was going on. The only thing I knew about Macbeth: the witches' rhyme thingy, which I'd read in Just as Long as We're Together. And I though Lady Macbeth was supposed to be this force to be reckoned with, but it wasn't like that in the play. The play was pretty good, if a bit like a glossy music video. I'm not gonna complain cos it was free. Also, it was strangely set around World War I. I just don't get why.

After the show Kat, Rachel and I were waiting for Doris to get out of work (she's an usher there). It was really dark but there was this famliar woman standing around, and I asked out loud, "Is that Julia Stiles?" And Kat stared a bit, and then these women in front of us were like "OMAGAWD" so we were like, "Aight, it's Julia Stiles". I thought her dress was nice. No one bothered her, really.

While we walked to the train, we passed by this crazy hobo dude who yelled out at us, "Hey, miss! Miss!" This guy riding his bicycle was passing by and yelled at the hobo, "Leave them alone!" And the crazy hobo was just like, "Okay" and kept quiet!! Then I was like, "Let's go to the Quirowitz" place, but Kat and Doris only stayed for like two seconds and I don't think they enjoyed those two seconds very much, so I felt bad about wasting their time and money.

I came home Sunday morning and I wasted it with sleep and food.

MTV K
Look at this! SuChin Pak speaking Konglish, LOL! Check out the vid on the right with SuChin's intro for the first video. I actually sort of wanna watch MTV K, if only for the novelty factor! It's just that I can't tell how long they'll be airing this channel? Will they be able to last, or will they pull the plug on it once Hallyu loses its magic?

Interesting fact, I thought "Hallyu" was a bastardized version of "Hollywood", but it really does mean "Korean Wave" in like Chinese characters or summat.

Juana Molina
Yesterday I went to the Bowery Ballroom to do an interview with Juana Molina. She was very pretty. I was very awkward with my interrogation. I showed her my Mafalda book, and she was like, "Oh wow!" It made me happy.

(Straight) Ladies, Take Note.
I went to the Mid-Manhattan library to return this essay book, and ended up taking out FIVE items! Why do I do this?!?! I read Marjane Satrapi's Embroideries, which was like, Sex and the Iranian City. Except there wasn't much of the city as it was just about sex, hahaha.

Anyway, if any ladies are looking for action, I only have one word: comics. Srsly. Try it. While I was looking at the Graphic Novels section in the library, this dude just comes up next to me and he's like, "So this is where the good stuff is, huh?" I wholeheartedly said "Yes!" ...And then I proceeded to back away since he was a bit older.

But get this, when I walked out of the library I happened to walk in the same pace as this cute dude who was like maybe in his 20s and I noticed he was like sort of staring at my books, which I was carrying in my arms. He noticed I noticed he was staring at my books (and by "books", I really mean books, nothing dirty, HAHA!), so he was like, "Hey, is that a Chris Ware book?" I ALMOST DIED! BEST PICKUP LINE EVERRR!! WHAT A GREAT BOOST TO MY EGO!!! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL Okay I'll stop. But seriously, I was so amused because the picture on the back cover didn't really look like something by Ware. Anyway, since I'm so witty and charming and eloquent, I showed him the booked and replied, "Uh, no, it just looked interesting." WTFFFFF? That's all I could come up with?!?!?! If you think about it, like really really hard, what I really meant was, "No, it's not a Chris Ware book so it probably isn't as cool, but it still looked interesting enough to take out of the library." For those of you who are wondering (hi Doris!), the book is Mother, Come Home, and I only picked it up because it seemed one of those angsty, weepy comic books that I tend to like. Anyway, I was very flattered the dude talked to me!

Superman Returns
Today I went to see Superman and it was awesome! No, not as good as Batman Begins. It was simple and linear, but it was pretty cute and I thought it had a lot of heart. It was really interesting, there was hardly any blood in the movie but the action parts were exciting and the effects were incredibly well-done. Only like one person dies, and it's really surprising to see who does the killing! Moreover, I really liked the sets and stuff. It seemed like it was simultaneously set in 2006 and 1936. It was pretty awesome. Also, I really liked Lois Lane! Actually, I liked the entire cast, they were all cool, even the kid, and I was like, "LOLLERSK8S @ KUMAR PLAYING A BAD GUY!!!" Much better than that other action movie James Marsden was in this year!

No comments: