04 June 2006

Uncannily Bad.

Finally watched the new X-Men movie and it was horrible. I had a good laugh in the movie theater, and the previews were pretty funny too (anyone up for The Omen?), but now that I've had time to think about it, I hated it. There were a few good bits, but the movie was a disaster on multiple levels. I can only imagine what the really hardcore comic book fans are saying. I think the worst thing Rachel and I agreed on is how badly-paced the movie was. Really, just terrible.

The acting, of course, was bad. What can you expect from a non-script? Except for Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart, who are awesome and untouchable and they was totally keepin' it real with the Marvel folk. There were way too many characters, so none of them were well-developed, not even Jean Grey. I hate Jean Grey, but c'mon, she's fucking supposed to be The Most Powerful Mutant Ever! She didn't even seem like she ruled the world, she just seemed like another disposable character, especially when you see how they dispose of her. Yeah! There, I said it! She DIES! Pfft what a joke. C'mon, even Wolverine didn't get a proper screen treatment... I don't think the fucker said "Bub" once! GAHHH.

Most of the new characters were just total throwaways, and so were a lot of the old ones. Rogue disappears for most of the movie, Cyclops is in it for only a few episodes, Professor X is only in it for like a 1/3 of it... Colossus was completely underused, hardly see Angel...

Beast looked great, though. His fight scenes were cool. Juggernaut was pretty cool, too. Overall, the special effects were excellent. And that's pretty much it. It could have been so much better. So much funnier and camp-ier, even better deaths. This whole movie was a major mess.

No comments: