09 June 2006

No Es Amor...

A few weeks ago I discovered that the only place that sells Bonde Do Role's EP is Turntable Lab, who have a special somethin' somethin' going on with Diplo, who signed Bonde Do Role to his label Mad Decent. After spending a couple of hours (literally!) I decided that I had to marry this store and/or pay a visit and spend all my hard-earned money!

What made me go "D'oh!" was realizing that I pass this store ALL the time! And I never went in because I was too scared to go into a hardcore DJ store! It's right across the street from where the original Wiz Kid Management used to be. So Steve and I shimmied on down to the East Village and the place was pretty sweet! I just liked it because they had stuff I wouldn't come across otherwise. Well, maybe in other DJ places, but I don't know of any of them. The place is tiny, as is everything else around the East Village where rent is a cruel bitch. Next time I go there, I shall get the Tropicalia compilation on vinyl. Well, that's all they have, really, vinyl and then turntable and assorted DJ-head goodies. I bought the Bonde Do Role EP, haven't listened to it yet.

At the Mercury Lounge I bought tickets to the Futureheads show, for Rachel, and then we walked back to the Quirowitz residence. I watched Steve sorta try to edit the songs he was gonna play on his radio show, which was really interesting. I don't know if I could do that, because it's about listening to lyrics, which is something I'm really bad at.

Dude, so I returned Persepolis 2 and Yes Yes Y'all to the library, and I borrowed out a Lata Mangeshkar CD I'd been awaiting for many a moon, Supersize Me, a Love and Rockets (comic) collection which has been really great so far, and this Bollywood movie called Chhupa Rustam.

I don't know anything about this movie, but the cover looked cool, and the blurb on the back was pretty funny. Most importantly, it says that the music is by S.D. Burman, who I think is supposed to be a real big deal in terms of Indian movie soundtracks.

Steve told me that somebody had reviewed Joan Jett's show at CBGB's recently in the Times, but didn't remember who it was. I found it was Sia Michel! Damn! Can I get hired at Spin, get fired, and then get hired at the New York Times? Maybe she just did freelance work. Who cares, it's a big deal! At least she's doing better than that Pemberton dude, huh?

Aw, man, why the fuck did I end up liking this fucking "Obsesión" song... These guys look like fucking douchebags... Whatever, I feel so much happier realizing what bachata is. I mean, I hear it all the time, I just never connected the sound to the name of the style. Wow! "Obsesión" was totally remade into that Frankie J song! And this bachata one is so much better than that other crap! I love how I'm 10 million years behind everyone else on this.

Oh, and one last thing: this band, Todosantos. They were reviewed fairly recently on Stylus, but their album Aeropuerto has been out since last year. They're from Venezuela, it's post-punk-y but in a pretty way, and somehow far more interesting than what comes out of Brooklyn, who knows why, but the tracks I've heard from are magical! I really like their "Ian Curtis" song! 100x better than the Sugababes' "Joy Division"!!

So, how have y'all been liking all this fútbol hoopla?

Edit: Oh shit, new Kinky album in September! Hope it's as awesome as the last one!

No comments: