18 May 2006

Art Brut Pepsi Smash!

I kept making bitchy comments about bloggers last night at the Art Brut show, and then IT HIT ME: I HAVE A BLOG. Shut up, okay? I think of it as my journal... to soften the blow!

Anyway, here is my play-by-play of last night. Rachel, Boogie-Down Nicole, Claudia and I went to Nicole's dorm to watch the America's Next Top Model finale. It was an all right ending. I liked both of the top two, as much as I could in this season. I was so pissed off by the runway walks. They were both unimpressive in that aspect. Nice girls, though.

Let us move on to the concert.

The Chalets were so so adorable, and not in an annoying way. Strong pop sound, but I do think they needed a little oomph in stage presence. I mean their dance routines were cute but I do wish they'd had a little something extra. Also, I couldn't understand anything they were saying. I particularly liked the way they worked the vocals, I'm a fan of boy-girl vocal in general, like with X.

Robocop Kraus were sort of awesome! Definitely for an opening band. I didn't even know who the fuck they were and I couldn't even tell where they were from so I assumed, "I guess they're from the UK", but they're really German. The music just had a quirky we-could-have-been-an-emo/hardcore-band-but-our-singer-wasn't-whiny-enough-and-so-we-went-Kraftwerk-all-ova-yo'-face-with-crazy-keyboards quality to it. But the vocalist was so funny. Oh my god, y'all. It wasn't quite an Ian "I Love Life" Curtis Dance, but he had all these strange moves, like just moving his neck around, and like like like for some reason he would raise his hands, palms to the audience, sort of as if we were armed robbers, y'know what I mean? No? That's right, you had to be there. Anyway, really, I didn't care about the music as much as I just wanted to take the singer out dancing. I must add, they had a fantastic bassist, in the sense that he really seemed to be enjoying himself, and I dug that. I'm still undecided whether I liked them better than the High Speed Scene.

(At this point we were joined by Cameron, who was full of juicy gossip about all sorts of things, none of which I can really discuss, mostly cos it makes me feel all cool knowing info that you don't. Yeah, I'm a jackass...)

Art Brut 47 were okay. Their We Are Scientists covers suck. Especially the vocalist guy. What's going on, dude? I wonder who writes the lyrics--whoever it is, he needs to QUIT IT. The music was okay, though. To be honest, they were a bit too Brooklyn for me. Does that have any significance to you? You know, those kids who live in Brooklyn and play in bands. I don't know how to explain it, but a lot of them have the same vibe. It's like they're trying hard to look like they're genuine and not trying hard. Am I getting my point across? Anyway, I was so so mad at this band. I wished the dude would never open his mouth, because some of the songs had pretty bitchin' parts, and then those brief moments would just fall apart into bland old regular "indie" shit. It was so frustrating.

Art Brut! SO GREAT! METAL! RAWK! YARRGHHH! But yeah, it's weird that they're technically getting much better. For real. It's weird to see Freddy look confident and shit. Ian! What a fabu guitarist! Hm, the new songs are quite cute, quite catchy from what I can tell. I approve. I'm trying to decide whether to see them at Soundfix. I think people should go see Art Brut at least once in their lives. It's worth it.

Think About Life were catchier than We Are Scientists in my opinion, but I was too tired and my head hurt. We left during the second song. Maybe another time, because they had the potential to be hysterical. Also: props to lame lone dancer. You were pathetic, but quite graceful about it.

Overall, it was a fantastic show, I just would have rearranged the opening bands, but what the hey, right? Beggars can't be choosers.

Tonight, watching the teevee, there was a commercial using "So Here We Are" by Bloc Party. Remember them?! God, I can't stand them, except for that hottie drummer dude. Anyway, it was pretty exciting. The car commercial used the song well. It was about time they cashed in, because their music is perfect for commercials.

Question! The Futureheads:News & Tributes::Pink Flag:Chairs Missing?

Another question! Was Mischa Barton really killed in The OC tonight? If so, AWESOMETOWN!

No comments: