03 April 2006

Stay Fresh!

Well, after the interview, I called Rachel because I was so fucking mad/embarrassed/sad/hurt that I needed to vent, and as usual I just spewed out nonsense and Rachel sort of listened and went "Uh-huh, uh-huh". Then I left her be and I cried in my pillow, which is too emo for words. I told Rachel on the phone I was gonna do that, and she told me not to do that over such a dumb little band that no one really knows except for bloggers. But I did it anyway because the tears were coming out and when I started crying I was shocked by the intensity of my own cry. Yes, it was as lame as you'd think, especially since Rachel was right, and I felt doubly stupid that I cried over such a dumb thing.

And you better believe me, I refuse to waste any more time on this fucking band (er, other than actually listening to their light pop fluff). I refuse to give them column inches. Petty? Yes, I don't deny it.

I went out on Saturday evening, just to get away with it. I watched Degrassi for the first time. It was pretty cool. I can see how people can get emotionally invested in the characters. I left after Boogie-Down Nicole, Rachel, Claudia and I had pizza for dinner. They stayed and watched more Degrassi and Blur music videos.

Sunday was lovely, after the newspaper meeting, which was uneventful but okay, I called up Claudia and we got Cold Stone ice cream. It was really good! I hate it when chains are actually okay tasting! I get a guilt trip, haha.

I hardly slept, but I was pretty productive during the day. By noon today, I went to my 1 hour 50 minute class, met my mom in midtown and took her to the eye doctor, got a falafel at Hoomoos Asli cos it's a nice place and the falafel is delish, and then I was back on Cooper Square to go to class. Except our teacher called one of our classmates and told her class was cancelled. Teacher's sick. Well, maybe she'll be better for tomorra.

Since we were free to go, I went to the library!!! It was a ball. Except I spotted this slim book called Sophisticated Boom Boom, and I HAD. TO. BORROW IT. I have a bad habit out of reading almost anything that has to do with pop music, so even though I try to keep with non-fiction stuff where I can learn actual information, sometimes I read fiction, too. I think the best ones I've read are Popular Music From Vittula (which was actually very very good and weird) and High Fidelity (lad lit fluff, but mind you, pretty sharp and enjoyable and has a special spot in my heart).

A few months ago, I actually bought a book simply because it was called What We Do is Secret, which I haven't actually gotten around to reading. It's not the right time. My final projects have come to bite me in the ass right now. Either way, I still feel ashamed that I bought a book simply for the title, especially because the Germs may have been one of the worst bands ever. Proof: they have reunited (!) and are playing the Vans Warped Tour this summer (!!).

Honestly, I would have left this Sophisticated Boom Boom book alone, except I read the back and the name of the main character is Declan Lydon, which was so dorky and not at all subtle that I had to borrow it out.

I finally declared a minor. Now I'm double-majoring in Spanish and Journalism, plus doing a minor in English. I know I have the space for it, but I'm still sort of scared.

I listened to XFM, but not before being met with this pop-up window that said something like, "We had some changes, you gotta be a UK resident to listen, we can't detect from your computer whether your from the UK, give us a postcode as proof," and I was (1) really panicky at first because the coolest thing about listening to British radio, aside from the music, is the hysterical public service announcements that tell us teenage folk to wear a condom when having sex, etc, and then I was (2) baffled by the stupid-ass way to prove your Britishness. I mean, come the fuck on! I just picked a postcode and that was it.

The radio show was awesome! He played this Plan B song that samples Radiohead. My head exploded from the sheer glee. Anyway, this compelled me to write in, and John Kennedy thought that it was funny I signed off with "stay fresh", hahaha. He refers to me as being from the Boogie-Down Bronx, though I usually sign it as just "Bronx, NY". It's nice that he cares about his listeners like that. If I was a radio DJ, I'd like to be one like John Kennedy.

Oh, and at home, I watched Labyrinth for the first time in, oh, maybe 12 years. I mean, this was the first time I really watched it in English without like, Spanish subtitles. Mucho fabulous. The movie was so awesome. I loved that ball scene, the song is great. David Bowie was sort of hot, except for the fact he was so 80s. The puppets were so outdated and hysterical.

No comments: