30 April 2006

Pop Goes the Weasel.

Last night I went to Etherea Paul's place for the first and probably last time, and it was as tiny as I thought it would be. You know how East Village tenements are--expensive but tiny. Well, I had a lot of fun. No party can go wrong by putting on Pink Flag. Though Kareem said you couldn't dance to Wire and I was shocked.

You can dance to almost anything if you put your little heart into it. I believe it!

Yeah, it was pretty much the same kids, and everyone was drinking PBR and I drank water and I had some cool ranch Doritos that were ridiculously salty and apparently I listened to the Wu-Tang Clan (J. Ro's request?) and it was a good time. At least Boogie-Down Nicole danced with me. And Rachel too. And J. Ro loosened up more than I've ever witnessed. Brother needs to chillax a little, though I hear he has and I've never been there to see it!! I don't have much of a play-by-play on last night cos I didn't stay too long before my dad called me and picked me up to take me home. I did tell Chase how excited I was about the convention at MoCCA in June, and he's like, "Oh yeah? Who's gonna be talking there?" He was sorta challenging me. And I was like, "Charles Burns!" He was impressed by that. I am too!

I wasted most of the rest of my day, though I did read a bit of Yes Yes Y'all, which is really cool, if not revelatory (it's just an oral history, and from the EMP at that) and I think it's beautifully laid out.

But yeah, most of it was spent watching Mariah Carey videos on YouTube, and then when I got tired of that, I watched Sugababes videos, and seriously, I cannot believe I didn't get into them 3 years ago when I first read about Mutya in the NME, and now Mutya's gone from the group and I think that sucks because when you watch those videos you're like WHOA when she's on the screen. I didn't even get to enjoy it when she was in the group. Pretty much all the videos with her in it have comments like, "MUTYA I MISS YOU SO MUCH" like she's dead or something. Dudes! She just had a kid. Supposedly she's gonna try the solo thing, too.

It's weird, because I always thought that Mutya looked too fierce and she always seemed so serious to me, but then you watch her doing all this bubbly pop, and you're like, "Hey... she's not about to kick anyone's ass... yet." I also found out she looks "weird" because she's like half-Filipino, half-Irish, and all FUCKING AWESOME.

Anyway, I watched a really old Sugababes video with their old member, redhead Siobhan, and she was cute and the song was good, but I like the blonde girl, Heidi. The new member, Amelle, I don't know about her. She's only been in the team for a few months, but I don't know, Mutya looks so cool in the old videos!!

That's not the point though, the point is that I heard "Push the Button" for the first time and I can't believe how good the song is. Like I can't believe people like "Biology" better than this song. Damn. Also, I can't tell any of the Girls Aloud members apart, though I'm sure they have their merits as a group.

I can't believe I just wrote multiple paragraphs on how cool I think the Sugababes are--or were, let's see how the Amelle shit goes down first.

Here comes the part where I explain that I'm not gonna apologize for the regression into pop music I seem to be afflicted with at the moment. Listen, has any album this year so far really really really impressed you? I mean, besides the Sonic Youth, and they don't count because the album hasn't officially come out, plus, they're like on a level of their own. But seriously. The most raves I've heard these past four, five months have been for Tropicalia and Big Apple Rappin', both of which are compilations. I really dig the new Liars, but that's pretty much it. There's been some good stuff but it's been mostly underwhelming. Everything else I've fallen in love with has been older stuff, Odetta, Depeche Mode, etc.

I hope it gets better as the year goes on.

If you want some "cool indie rock" you should watch Fearless Music, which I stumbled upon last night trying to recover over the fact that I smelled like cigarettes. It's on Sundays at 1 am on Fox (Saturday night). Apparently Tally Hall have been on it? And this show has been around since '04! It also seems to be stuck in '04. Oof, I mean, they have decent C-list and D-list bands, but the fact that they're decent is overwhelmed by the fact that, yeah, they're C- and D-listers. I admit, though, the Clem Snide performance I watched was good.

Shiiiiit I forgot about this Coachella webcast stuff, but it's not too late, maybe I'll catch a couple of them today.

No comments: