09 April 2006

DadaDaDaDa.

My school is riddled with many school bands. And there's a certain image for them. You hear "NYU band" and you think, Jesus, one of those fucktard bands that acts all pretentious and like they're gonna be mad famous when they really suck and blow at the same time.

At the Washington Square News meeting today, we listened to demos of school bands for some contest we're holding. And they were surprisingly good!! Not only that, I realized that I hang out with really cool people! Andy and Jordan (not to be confused with J. Ro) submitted this noise-y demo as Totally Dad, and you should have seen Etherea Paul's reaction. I think he actually said, "I'm proud of you guys." Paul's big on noise music, you see. I'm not, but I really liked it. It was all irreverent like fuck.

Also, Gordon and Dylan submitted this really cute indie pop demo. Shit, I feel bad, I don't remember what their name was. But I really liked it.

I couldn't believe the cool stuff we got. Last year we got mainly jam bands, and it was really hard to get through it all. We were pretty mean, and none of these bands sent in new material. We figured we hurt their feelings, or something. And for some reason, this year's bands were a bit quirkier and cuter, and sometimes both.

Well, we got a new demo from this band who also participated last year, the Clint and Charles Show. A lot of the kids who went through this shit last year remembered them, particularly that they were weird in an awesome way. But seriously, even though I had fond memories, I cannot believe how awesome this demo is! Much better than I remembered. I just can't believe this is an NYU band. It's so much fun, and weird, and it feels like something so special. The reaction in the WSN room was pretty strong, too. I knew I had to call dibs on it.

Dylan came into the WSN room today with these comics that dear little Chase lent her. I love how our newspaper section is full of comic book-heads. It gives us something else to be snobby about. J. Ro and I discussed the wonder that is Daniel Clowes.

I was sorta sad today, because after the meeting Diana was all like, "WSN's been taken over by all these freshmen," and it just sounded so snobby! I mean, c'mon! Can't we welcome new members? I like the new kids. At least they come to the meetings. Fuck.

But yeah, I'm really happy about the demo I got! Weird fact: I had a class with one of the kids in the band, which I didn't realize until now. I never spoke to him and his friend because I was too intimidated. Typical me, typical me, typical me. Sigh!

No comments: