09 November 2006

Icky Feelings.

Hmm. The calm before the storm. Trying not to think about it too much, but I can feel a breakdown comin'.

When I came home last night my dad asked me if my classmates had liked what I wrote. I just started crying telling him it didn't matter because it's shit anyway. My mom was like well you can rewrite it right. Woman has a point there. Actually, and I know this is a bit weird, but I sort of like feeling inadequate. I feel like it keeps my ego in check.

In class, the Mean Girl really went off on this other girl who wrote a story that included a graphic rape scene. It was statutory rape, no less, and it was in the POV of the rapist. The Mean Girl was offended and thought it was disgusting, blah blah. Yeah well suck it up bitch. I mean I didn't like the rape scene either but you're not exactly the best writer so you really shouldn't be all like "I didn't like it" when you should really be like "Here's why this didn't work for me." I talked to the girl who wrote the story afterwards and I think she got a bit weepy. She told me she didn't know people would be so offended. I told her I think the Mean Girl is a bitch, but what I really should have told her is that getting a reaction is REALLY GOOD and she shouldn't sacrifice whatever sense of art she has just because someone couldn't stomach what she wrote. The scene didn't quite work, but whatever, I admire that she took a risk.

Anyway, tomorrow I get my turn to workshop my story.

Say what? Andrew (not Andy!) WK is gonna lecture on Nov. 17? Woot! That's cool.

OH HEY AND I"M SEEIN LES SAVY FAV FOR THE FIRST TIME TOMORRA HOPE TIM DOESN'T KILL ME WITH HIS BELLY.

1 comment:

Gabriela said...

You sound masochistic! Don't feel inadequate, it is an icky feeling! If you are ever feeling it listen to Justin Timberlake because every lyric is a compliment.

Is Mean Girl youknowwho? How is youknowwho doing and is she writing about other youknowwho? I shouldn't care but I do. Blech.