18 November 2006

Cornetto.

HIII!

So last night I went to see Andrew W.K. do a "lecture on anything he wanted" which meant he didn't prepare anything and it was really chaotic and sure it was funny on occasion and he was super nice, and his fans were really nice, but it's like, why you gotta ask him about influences and shit? Why don't you read interviews with him? I preferred the sillier questions, like somebody asked him to tell a crazy on-the-road story. There was a singalong bit that was really cute, too, but for the most part, it didn't seem worth $4 and wasting a hot Friday night. Believe me, I was really bummed. I can't believe how boring this was, for the most part.

Like when Ian MacKaye came last year, he was amazing. Mind you, he's told some stories a million times so he really knows how to pace them and how to hit the punchline and shit, but seriously, I feel like Ian has so much to say, and I really have a love/hate (mostly hate LOL) thing for him but the respeck is definitely there for MacKaye cos he knows how to talk to a crowd. Must be daddy's preacher genes.

Anyway, I watched Amores Perros last night when I got home. It was incredibly good. I watched it late at night so I had a bit of a hard time keeping track of all the storylines and how they were connected. Also, there were a lot of bloody dogs, but I liked that they didn't really hurt the animals. Oh, and I really wanted to punch the Gael García Bernal character in the face. Except I probably would have settled for kicking his ass cos his face is so pretty. But damn, that movie. I loved it, it was just depressing enough--like don't you hate movies that make you lose hope for the world? This one, I felt like maybe the characters could move on from their adversities. Well, eventually, anyway. Also, the DVD had the video for Café Tacuba's "Aviéntame" which has got to be incredibly emo and sorta disturbing.

I also watched Shaun of the Dead and all the extras on the DVD. Well, most of them. I watched the movie with these subtitles that gave away all the references to previous zombie movies as well as the songs soundtracked. Shit, I didn't know they used so many Ash songs on there. Also, I totally saw a copy of White Blood Cells like around in Shaun's house, but it's so brief I was like, "Whoa was that what I thought it was?" and rewinded (er, rewound?) and paused it. Oh, and there was a whole bit about the 2nd albums the cast members bought in their lives.

BTW, I just finished reading Girl Trouble, which is about Gloria Trevi and her uhhh I can't explain. Like she got into deep shit, ended up in Rio, etc. The book was really good! Very well-written. At the same time I feel like Gloria should have stayed a little longer in jail. I don't know why, because it seems like she suffered a lot a lot a lot, too. I'm just an asshole. I know she's got her comeback and all, but she looks awful lately. Almost like a Latina Paula Abdul. ::shudders::

*

Okay, help me out with these lists (they're not ranked or anything):

[EDITED]

People who are allowed to be crazy
Mariah Carey
Prince
Missy Elliott (is she actually insane or just quirky?)
Cat Power

People who are NOT allowed to be crazy
Gwen Stefani
Michael Jackson
R. Kelly
Beyoncé
Devendra Banhart
Billy Corgan
Courtney Love
Kanye West
Jack White

I'm on the fence on where to put OutKast.

Here are a video of Gloria Trevi and another of SODA STEREO <3.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I read the title of your post, I twitched and had a flashback to Italy. Kind of like yesterday when I went to the Met and a Della Robbia porcelain surprised me behind a staircase and I screamed.

Gabriela said...

Angela: Della Robia (or at least his and/or his family's influence) are everywhere! There is a Della Robia-esque thing on the side of a building on Cornelia St.

Gabriela said...

I like your lists, but I would add Cat Power to not allowed to be crazy. Also I think Missy just has more girl power than she knows what to do with. Also add Billy Corgan to not allowed to be crazy.