14 November 2006

Agitate! Educate! Organize!

There's this blog I read, Palms Out Sounds, which I actually used to read once a week, solely for their "Remix Sunday" posts (the latest one is here) and which I never mentioned to y'all cos I'm a greedy asshole who didn't wanna reveal her source for the awesome remixes she's been hearing recently. I know, I suck. Anyway, I've been reading this blog a bit more closely lately specifically because of a recent post they made. Go read it. Rly. We don't get enough people talking about this stuff.

Well, this post has another purpose, Palms Out Sounds has been nominated by Roc-A-Fella Recs for best hip-hop blog, and they need votes and I think it would be really cool if y'all could vote. You can only vote once a day but I figure if we all vote they'll get to do all the exclusive shiznit on the new Jay-Z album release frenzy.

VOTE HERE PLZ.

Weird, cos just today we were discussing this stuff in my Theory of Drama class. It was about performing gender (particularly drag acts) and performing race (particularly blackface). I was pleasantly surprised by the discussion, it was really interesting and I don't think anyone said anything too offensive, except for one kid who said that culture is a construct but race isn't, or some shit like that. I was like, "WHAT? WHAT? RACE IS A CONSTRUCT." Naw, I didn't say that, but I was shouting inside my head. Which makes it sound like I hear voices. Well shit, I do. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ohhh lord. Anyhoo.

Here, this is one of the first music videos I ever remember watching.



Watching it now, I'm like, "Go figure he likes the blonde. Tch." I can get a bit bitter at times. Which is hilarious because when I was six, I thought the most beautiful people in the world were Ludwika Paleta, Xuxa, and Marisol. Sorta sad, yeah? I mean I still think they're beautiful ladies. But y'know. Now I make room for people like Julieta Venegas or Beth Ditto or JD Samson or Kelis or whoever. Shit, my philosophy is that I'm too ugly to be picky and be all uppity about who's beautiful or not.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The other music video I remember watching when I was little, of course, was this obscure, low-budget production called "Thriller," which scared the shit out of me.

1 comment:

Gabriela said...

I had a Xuxa doll and I still have Xuxa lipstick (it came with the doll).