27 November 2006

Esquemas Juveniles.

How was my long weekend? Let us see the scoreboard.
- SEE VOLVER!!!
- Go to MoMA
- Go and see that exhibit on tropicália at the Bronx Museum of the Arts
- Go to the Palms Out Sounds store
- See Evil Dead: The Musical
- Go to Paul's and paint CDs
- Do my homework and catch up on school (fat chance with that one)

2/7 accomplished. Meh, it was still worth it.

Last Tuesday I did watch the Tony Bennett show which was really wonderful except for the part where I didn't really care for the sound of his voice. I'm just sayin', y'all. I mean I listened to a lot of Gianni Morandi this weekend, and his voice is so wonderful compared to Bennett. Like what the fuck was that song, "I Left My Heart in San Francisco"? Weakest signature song ever. Listen man, congratulations on hitting 80 years, but c'mon. When you were singing with Stevie Wonder? Yeah, the fool was kicking your musical ass. It was your show man! ON THE OTHER HAND: his song with Diana Krall was great, it really suited his voice! Oh, and Christina Aguilera was really good, except for when she got a little too loose with the melismas. Yeah, you can sing--we get it, aight? Pop and R&B stars gotta cut out that melisma shit. But still, the show was much more fun and classy and the sets were so much prettier than the American Music Awards.

The awards show was pretty drab. I'll fess up, I watched it cos I was waiting for the Fall Out Boy performance. It was terrible. Just... just terrible. Well, Trohman doing his jumps was cool. Everything else was horrific. Oh, Fatrick. The sad thing is, it wasn't nearly as bad as the new Gwen Stefani. I felt my soul die a little.

Nicole Richie was looking so cute though. Aww. Gotta eat a little more though.

The next day Gabs and I made plans to have lunch, except we ended up having early dinner and then we went to Strand's where I think she bought multiple Dave Eggers books, and she said she has a love/hate thing for him which totally made it okay that she was gonna buy two of his books. Whatevs, at least the girl reads, right? I told her I've never read anything of his but later I realized that was a lie, because I remember reading his column in Spin back when Spin was going downhill but was still marginally readable, and I remember hating his column and wishing he would just die in the ass.

Anyway, we parted ways and I was all ready to go to Volver but I didn't know it was only showing in like, three theaters in Manhattan so I went to two theaters before I was like "Jesus, fuck that..." It was all rainy and shit, too. I ended up in... Shakespear & Co. At first I wasn't sure if it was open but I figured it was just dead because everyone was busy going like, home and shit. So I looked around and I picked up The Motorcycle Diaries, only to drop it and pick up the new Marc Spitz book, instead.

I know. I know. Somehow, I own all of his books. I understand how ridiculous that is. Especially choosing it over The Motorcycle Diaries. I just... needed something lowbrow to read, okay? Don't judge, bitches. And bee tee dubs, the book's just fine. I just got to the part where a cute Jewish blogger grrrl who has "a thing for posting photos of baby animals" discovers the never-was band the intrepid protagonist was in during the 90s. Sounds like Sarah Lewitinn, huh? Haha. That's very sweet of him. The books all right, so far. I say so far cos that Smiths book was pretty fun to read, too, until the part where the main character is an adult and pathetic. But I think this is easier to read because the Smiths book was like the most thinly disguised roman-a-clef ever, so every time something pathetic showed up I would be like, "OMG Marc Spitz, you loser". I guess it's good that the second book is better than the first book, wouldn't it be embarrasing if it was the other way around?

Ugh I can't believe I typed all those words about fucking Marc Spitz. Yeah, well, less words than he spends in the book on Winona Ryder. God bless her, what's she been up to?

Thanksgiving, as I said, was weird.

Friday I went out. Or did I? I can't remember. Fuck. Honestly, I spent most of the (entire) weekend thinking it was Sunday, so I kept going to the Palms Out Sounds blog (they put up some hottt remixes every Sunday) and to check if my Audioscrobbler charts had updated. I know... I'm such a slave to the internets.

Saturday I went out and just walked around a lot. I went to the library and paid off my fine. I listened to Soda Stereo as I walked near the Junky Park and I decided they ROOOOOCK. I ended up at the movie theater to watch Volver. When I went into the theater I was surprised by the small space. 137 capacity--and most of those people were old. Damn. I loved the movie, of course. There were a few twists here and there, but they weren't revealed in an outrageous way. The acting was excellent. When I got out of the theater it was dark. I called my parents and told them I was gonna have dinner with my friends; I don't know why I lied. I do that all the time, too.

When I got home I was hungry, so I had ramen.

Yesterday my mom and I went out and there were all these fuckers like, shopping and shit, and it was so crowded in the streets. Terrible. After that I went to Paul's house, and I had a feeling I was gonna be exactly on time, and it's like, who the fuck gets there on time? There was some racket going on on the street and this old lady with a dog starts talking shit about the noise to me. I'm like, "I'm sorry, who the fuck are you and who gave you permission to address me?" I know, I'm an asshole. Anyway, Paul let me in and I painted some of his CD-Rs and I hope they turn out well. It was fun, but I've still got traces of paint on me. It looks like I was bleeding, a bit. We listened to hip-hop Christmas tunes, compiled by Paul's roommate. Then we had pizza. Then I left. I met some nice people there.

Today I had a mediocre day. I read Fametracker at work. It pretty much explained every feeling I have for Steve Buscemi. The end.

4 comments:

Gabriela said...

I would just like to clarify that I'm not a stupid hipster shit who buys Dave Eggers books to be even more of a stupid hipster shit. I first read him in Advanced Placement English and American literature and have been loyal ever since. While I admit he is a bit zany at times, there is something to be said for loyalty! The same goes for Jonathan Safran Foer, whom I will choose to tangentially mention. Anyway, between Eggers and Spitz, I believe Eggers is the lesser of two evils!! Thank you and goodnight.

Nicole C. Weber said...

OK srsly Motorcycle Diaries is totally lowbrow!! it's full of diarrhea and sex jokes. and the word "blog" does not appear a single time.
also: i want to see volver!! and i want to see you! and gabriela!
also: THIS SEMESTER NEEDS TO DIE RIGHT NOW
also: come over sometime soon and i'll cook something good!

Nicole C. Weber said...

also you're probably not free but i figured i may as well pass this shit on since they email me every day:

Dinner & a Movie: High Fidelity
Friday, December 1
7-9PM
Gallatin Rm 519
Come for free food & an awesome movie on Gallatone & GSC!
-------
12/8
Gallatin Movie... and a Dinner!
The ICARUS Project at NYU and Professor Brad Lewis present:
The Devil and Daniel Johnston
7:00PM
CANTOR FILM CENTER
36 East 8th Street

This week Gallatin takes Dinner and a Movie to Cantor. The Devil and Daniel Johnston will be screened at the Cantor Film center with an
introduction by Professor Brad Lewis. After the movie is over, join the ICARUS Project for dinner and discussion.

Elizabeth U. said...

Gabs: I hate to say it, but you're probably right about Eggers > Spitz. And I know you're not hipster shit who buys Dave Eggers books to be even more of a stupid hipster shit.

"Claire": We need to hang out!! I might be able to go to the High Fidelity thing. But we do need to see Volver, too!