21 March 2006

Hello.

I am Elizabeth.

I love music. It consumes most of my thoughts, except for when it's time to eat! I like Interpol. I hope their next album doesn't suck. I like accessible music. I used to like going to concerts before, but not so much anymore. I get too tired too quickly, and I get annoyed at all the other kids. I'm not surprised that the rest of the NYC concert-goers are so damn jaded. Do I sound too cynical at 19? Well, I do love live music, but I don't go that often. The main reason, actually, is not the crowds, I don't mind the crowds so much as I just hate the commute back home. Cripes. It takes me a while to get home.

I like to write about music, and I like to read about music. Right now I'm reading Positively 4th Street by David Hajdu. It's actually for class, but I'd been meaning to read it for a while. Recently, I read most of the essays in one of those DaCapo best music writing books (the latest one, edited by JT Leroy!).

I love the NYPL. I go at least once a week, and I go semi-regularly to three different branches. I can't enter a library without borrowing out something. I try to meet the due dates as best as possible.

I'm a sophomore in college and I'm studying journalism, even though I have no intention to get into that career. Maybe I'm lying. I do write for my school paper, and for an online site, but I don't see how I could live off this. I don't know what I want to do with my life. Unsurprising for a 19-year-old who's not in pre-med or pre-law or pre-business or pre-tension.

I am anti-tension. But I am tense a lot of the time.

I guess I should explain why this blog is called "Roses + Bluejays". That's one of my favorite Buck 65 songs (it's actually titled "Roses and Bluejays"). I'm sort of smitten with him. I just saw Feist's video for "One Evening" yesterday, and he was dancing in it. I smiled whenever he was on the screen. I mean, I don't think he's a genius or naught. But I do think he keeps things interesting, and that he has some ambition, and I appreciate that.

I have to say, however, watching Buck 65 dance was nothing like watching Nick Cave dance. I almost fainted when I started watching Nick Cave's video for "Fifteen Feet of Pure White Snow". I love music videos!

No comments: